BECOV NAD TEPLOU
In the 13th century the Lords of Osek founded the castle Beèov nad Teplou
on acliff over a provincial route for its protection and collecting duties.
The castle reached its peak in the late 15th century, when it belonged to the
Pluh family of Rabtejn, who were engaged in gold, silver and tin mining.
The Pluh family connected two older parts of the castle and later built a new
residential palace in the Renaissance style there. In 1547, Kaspar Pluh headed
the uprising of the Estates against Ferdinand I, which failed and he was sentenced
to death. The Beèov dominion continued to serve as a pledge for the debts
of the Emperor Chamber.
The Thirty Years' War broghts an end to tin prosperity and in 1648, the Swedish
army damaged the castle and occupied it. The most valuable preserved part of
the castle is the Chapel of the Visitation of Our Lady from the year 1400 with
original frescoes depicting 17 Biblical motives.
In the 18th century, on the site of the former fortifications above the castle
moat a Baroque chateau with an octagonal tower was built. The tower housed state
rooms, a library and fountains. In the 19th century the castle was connected
with the chateau into one complex. The interiors were renovated in the Romantic
style by architect Josef Zítek. There are valuable collections of paintings
and tapestries from the property of Belgian Beaufort-Spontin family, who bought
Beèov in 1813.
The Reliquary of St. Moor
Alfred de Beaufort bought a rare 12th century reliquary of St. Moor for 2,500
francs, had it restored and brought it to Beèov. At the end of World
War II the Beauforts, active collaborators with the Nazi regime, left the chateau
in a hurry. The reliquary was hidden under the floor of the castle chapel for
40 years. In the 1980s, the police got a tip that one foreign businessman was
offering mediating services in the export of the forgotten reliquary. After
a long investigations in the archives and interrogations of witnesses a short
list was made of possible sites where the reliquary could be hidden. On November
5, 1985, the reliquary was discovered, surrounded by bottles of wine and cognac.
Sixty Czech and international specialists participated in its restoration. Since
May 2002, the reliquary has been exposed in a special safe deposit room in the
Recently, the castle was completely renovated. The exhibition The History
and Meaning of Reliquaries was opened to the public. Beèov offers
unique night sightseeing tours and viewing of the reliquary of St. Moor
The castle gallery houses a major collection of European art, featuring an
especially stirring oil painting by Titian, "Apollo's Slaying of Marsyas".
The chateau itself, its Flower Garden and the Garden Below the Chateau were
entered in the UNESCO list of world cultural heritage sites. Kromìøí
is located some 50 km from Brno, near the Brno Olomouc highway, and is
also well-connected through the regional rail network.